Thursday, September 11, 2008

No man knows the time or the Day!

I won't write about my personal life on this blog today. There are so many wonderful posts giving tribune to the 9/11 victims today. I feel for all the families that have lost loved ones to this tragic event.

We have no assurance today won't be our last day here on earth. We need to live each day as if it were. Those people got up as if it were just another day, not knowing it would be their last.

We have read and heard about all the calls that were made to loved ones from the airplanes and the Towers. We can make a change in our lives today. When we leave our homes, do we have any idea if we will return? We could get in a car accident or have a heart attack, anything could happen.(Do you think those people thought someone would take over their plane, or a plane would crash into their building) Look what happened to my 3 month old baby; I left for work, two hours later he was dead in his sleep.

I am going to start treating people as if this will be the last time I might see them. . I spent a lot of time with my husband and children this weekend. I put things aside that I could do when they were gone to work or at school.

What if you knew today was the last time you would see or talk to your loved ones, friends, co-workers, would you treat them any different? Would you tell them about Christ? Would you be a little kinder to them? Would you take the time to just listen? Would you take the time to call someone you haven't talked to in a while to tell them how much they mean to you? What about that person you might be fighting with, if you knew this was your last day, would you call them to make it right? Would you take time for that "I love you" or "A hug" or when the kids call you do you tell them I'll be their in a minute and never come. When that car cuts you off, (And it will) maybe say a little prayer for that person instead of a curse word?

God tells us in His word to keep watch. No man knows the time or the day that He will come back. I think our lives would be a lot different if we live as if each day could be our last.

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. I tell you the truth; he will put him in charge of all his possessions. But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 24:36-51).

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. It's like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with his assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch. Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back--whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!' (Mark 13:32-37)

If we examine these passages carefully, it is apparent that Jesus is warning us to stay alert and “Watch!” as we see the Day of the Lord approaching. However, we will not know “the day or the hour.” Do you know this isn’t your last day?

Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour (Matthew 25:13).


6 comments:

Sheila said...

What a great reminder this day to live as though it were our last!

Sheila

Amel said...

THANKS for the reminder, Lori! :-))) I hope I'll always remember this.

Kathy said...

Great post! It would definitely change our lives if we lived that way.

Greg C said...

Wonderful post Lori and so true. I grew up in a home where we were not comfortable saying I love you. I don't ever recall hearing my father tell me that. When he was in a nursing home and his health failing, my sister asked me if I was ready for him to die. We got to talking and I admitted that I never told him how I felt about him as a father. So she urged me to tell him and I did. I went to see him and told him how much I appreciated all his sacrafices, all he did for me and how much I loved him. Less than a month later he died. At the funeral my brothers all said how they had things they wished they had said to him. I just smiled.

Susannah said...

Excellent thoughts. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Sobering, isn't it? Love you!

Lori said...

Hi all,


Thank you! I have to remind myself to be ready.

Blessings,

Lori