Sunday, July 08, 2007

God's Purpose

What is God's purpose for us?

To have a people who will reflect His Glory.

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
Revelation 4:11 NIV

The proper understand of everthing in life begins with God. No one will ever understand the necessity of conversion who does not know why God created us. He created us "in His image" so that we would image forth His glory in the world. We were made to be prisms refracting the light of God's glory into all of life. Why God should want to give us a share in shining with His gloryis a great mystery. Call it grace or mercy or love I tis an unspeakable wonder. Once we were not.

These verses all speak of God's glory.

Psalm 19:1-1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.


It's not what we do , but what God does through us and for us that should bring all the Glory. Because of his love and faithfulness to us.

Psalm 116:1
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy.


God's mercy is so great I can't comprehend all of what He has done for me.

Isaiah 6:3
And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."


All the earth is full of God's glory. How can I not rejoice at this?

1 Corinthiams 10:31-
Whatever we do, it should be done to Glorify God.


In my actions, words, and deeds, I should always find things to glorify God.

John Piper says; Once we were not. Then we existed for the glory of God!

God's ultimate objective, as the Bible declares it, is threefold-To vindicate His rule and righteousness by showing His soverignty in judgement upon sin, to ransom and redeem His chosen people, and to be loved and praised by them for His glorious acts of love and self-vindication. God seeks what we should seek-His glory, in and through men and it is for the securing of this end, ultimately, that He is jealous.
J. I. Packer

Everything we do should be done to bring glory to God. When I seriously consider this, it has a profound effect on my choices and my way of life! If I read this book, will God be pleased? If I do this activity, will it cause others to want to praise God? If I listen to this music, will it enable me to worship God? If I say these words, will it bring glory to God? If my purpose is to reflect the majesty of God, then all decisions should be based on "Will God receive Glory".

My heart's desire is to be so overwhelmed with our incomparable, awesome God that my life cannot help but bring Him glory.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Wonderful, Lori. Have you read 'The Purpose Filled Life' by Rick Warren?
It can be a life changiing reading and living experience.
And. Lori, you could write that book.
All Christians should be able to write it ultamitely.
..

Mike Minzes said...

Beautiful!! God is everywhere and everything.

Have a great week!!

Paula Harrington said...

So true! Good post. Thanks

Jim said...

:-)

..

Mike Ratliff said...

Amen Ann! You have it right sister.