Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The two kinds of Wisdom

This morning in my time with the Lord I focused on Wisdom.

“For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God” (1 Corinthians 3:19).

As I started seaching the scriptures, I began to reflect on how little any one person knows and how limited one person’s wisdom is.

I would like to say I am good at what I do, I have gained wisdom and foresight regarding my special interests and experience. But if I were suddenly placed in a new, unfamiliar position or found myself in a foreign city unable to speak the language, not knowing how to even find a bathroom, I would become aware of my limitations. My Knowledge and experience would not help me. I would need someone to help me.


Compared to God I have next to zero knowledge of Wisdom. In this world with billions of people I wonder how much wisdom each person possesses?

I started thinking about the wisdom of God. He knows everything and is all wise. Even if I compiled all the wisdom of everyone in the world and measured it against God’s wisdom, it would be almost nothing.

Also, when I remember that everything I know and everything I have comes from God anyway, how can I think that I hold much wisdom, this sure humbled me this morning.

I remember the “wise advice” Job’s friends gave him when he had lost everything? They thought they were very wise. Job himself questioned God about why this disaster happened to him. God was not impressed by any of them. ( Job 38 to 41)

What is wisdom? This is what I found the Bible to say about wisdom,

“The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 1:7).

When I begin to recognize that my life is about God, not about me - that is the beginning of wisdom.

How do I get more wisdom? One way is to read God’s Word and to learn from Him.

“Nothing is perfect except your words. Oh, I how I think about them all day long. They make me wiser than my enemies, because they are my constant guide. They make me even wiser than the aged” (Psalms 119:96-100).

I need to fear God. I need to know God and the only way I can know God is by reading His word and obeying the things that are in it.

Wisdom from Above and From Below

Jam 3:13-17 (Phi) Is there some wise and understanding man among you? Then let his life be a shining example of the humility that is born of true wisdom. But if your heart is full of bitter jealousy and rivalry, then do not boast and do not deny the truth. You may acquire a certain wisdom, but it does not come from above--it comes from this world, from your own lower nature, even from the devil. For wherever you find jealousy and rivalry you also find disharmony and all other kinds of evil. The wisdom that comes from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, approachable, full of merciful thoughts and kindly actions, straightforward, with no hint of hypocrisy.

1 Cor 1:18-31 (Phi) The preaching of the cross is, I know, nonsense to those who are involved in this dying world, but to us who are being saved from that death it is nothing less than the power of God. It is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the prudence of the prudent will I reject." For consider, what have the philosopher, the writer, and the critic of this world to show for all their wisdom? Has not God made the wisdom of this world look foolish? For it was after the world in its wisdom had failed to know God, that he in his wisdom chose to save all who would believe by the "simple- mindedness" of the gospel message. For the Jews ask for miraculous signs and the Greeks an intellectual panacea, but all we preach is Christ crucified--a stumbling-block to the Jews and sheer nonsense to the gentiles... for God's "foolishness" is wiser than men.... But God has chose what the world calls foolish to shame the wise... that no man may boast in the presence of God.... And this makes us see the truth of the scripture: "He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."

1 Cor 3:19-21 (Phi) Let no one be under any illusion over this. If any man among you thinks himself one of the world's clever ones, let him discard his cleverness that he may learn to be truly wise. For this world's cleverness is stupidity to God. It is written: "He that taketh the wise in their craftiness", and again, "The Lord knoweth the reasonings of the wise, that they are vain." So let no one boast of men.

I have come to the conclusion this morning, even if I add up all my wisdom with the wisdom of everyone I know, it will be nothing compared to the wisdom of God. I need to be in the Word to grow in Godly Wisdom.

God cause me to want to read your Word more, build in me a healthy fear and reverence for You. Cause me to soak up the wisdom of Your Word - the only perfect words. Help me to be humble. Amen.

1 comment:

Greg C said...

I want wisdom too Lori. I too realize that what I know is a drop in the bucket compared to the worlds knowledge and that is a drop in the bucket compared to God's wisdom. I would compare it to a grain of sand compared to all the sand in the universe. I know nothing.